The cause of the outbreak that affected about 650 individuals at a Chipotle in Ohio a month ago has been determined. Samples of feces taken from ill clients were positive for Clostridium perfringens, which is a bacterium that can lead to food poisoning when food is stored at hazardous temperatures, as per the Delaware General Health District, the department of public health in Delaware, Ohio. In spite of the fact that cooking eliminates C. perfringens cells, it doesn’t really eliminate bacterial spores that can develop into new cells, as per the U.S. Division of Health and Human Services (HHS). That implies that if food is uncovered and kept out for a really long time, or it’s not refrigerated, the spores can develop and create new cells, which may prompt disease when the food is consumed.
Without a doubt, C. perfringens microbes grow in temperatures between 40 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit (4 to 60 degrees Celsius), a range that is commonly known as the danger zone, since it’s not very hot, or excessively cold, for microscopic organisms, making it impossible to develop. C. perfringens diseases frequently happen when foods are made in bulk, and are then kept warm for quite a while before serving, HHS confirmed. About 647 individuals were identified In Ohio, by healthcare authorities, who got ill after eating at a Chipotle in the city of Powell between July 26 and July 30. Clients reported side effects, for example, diarrhea, stomach aches and vomiting. An examination of the restaurant discovered that a certain foods were not being kept at appropriate temperatures. For instance, beans were not held at a sufficiently warm temperature, and lettuce was not appropriately cooled, as per details. Brian Niccol, the CEO of Chipotle confirmed in response to the outbreak that they will be retraining their staff worldwide on safety of food and health protocols.